Friday, March 11, 2011

Mineral Makeup

My readers’ questions are pouring in, and this next one is definitely blog worthy. In fact, it was going to be my next product review

She asked,
“For years I have been super sensitive to any type of foundation. I have tried liquid foundations and even some mineral make ups. But I seem to always develop breakouts with a week or so after wearing it. Do you have any recommendations for what I could use?”

I’m sure most of you are saying, “try that Bare Minerals stuff.  It’s so good, you can sleep in it!” That’s what they tell you, isn’t it? My reader tried that. It broke her out.  The most likely culprit?  The bismuth oxychloride (BOC). This is an ingredient found in most mineral makeups which helps give it a pearlescent finish. This is one of the reasons why minerals are so popular. They seem to just blur imperfections, while making your skin appear flawless. 

However, although natural, BOC does have some side effects. www.Livestrong.com writes, 
“Inhaling BOC powder, perhaps while applying dry cosmetics, produces an irritant effect on your nose, throat and lungs, making you sneeze and cough, according to the CDC. The crystalline, particulate nature of the powder rather than a direct toxicity causes this irritation. BOC in your eyes will cause redness, watering and burning... side effects are common. The finely abrasive nature of the crystalline powder is slightly irritating. The heavy metal component of the powder causes it to fall off your skin fairly rapidly, so frequent reapplications become frequent irritations. This is known to cause a side effect of aggravating acne in some individuals, and can cause a flare up of rosacea for others.”

With that said, my answer to my reader’s question is, yes, minerals all the way! But, I am not a huge fan of Bare Minerals. I’m not here to bash anyone or anything. That’s not me, but I am honest, and I think Bare Minerals is crap. However, there are some people who love it. I felt like I had to apply so much to get the coverage I wanted, and then it just looked like I had lots of makeup on. Also, it broke me out like crazy and made my skin itchy and irritated. “Swirl, tap, buff” THIS, Bare Minerals. Oh, I’m sorry. Was that too much?

My ultimate favorite mineral makeup is GloMinerals. The loose powder is amazing! Yes, it has bismuth oxychloride, but lots of other things too, such as green tea, titanium dioxide, and iron oxides. These have great anti inflammatory properties and protects from sun damage. It never irritates my skin. I love the ease of application. There is no “swirl, tap, buff, whatever” method that needs to be done. You just dunk in your brush (I LOVE their Ultra brush),  tap off the excess, and apply in small circular motions! After using a mist of hydration, my not-so-perfect skin looks like peaches and cream! I get so many compliments on my skin. GloMinerals has totally boosted my confidence. 

GloMinerals also makes a makeup line, called Mineral Fusion!! Yay! It’s amazing too! 

I have the Mineral Fusion pressed base, and I use it as both a concealer and foundation. If I have a big whopper of a zit, then I’ll go over it with my Bobbi Brown Face Touch-up Stick. I’ll use the Ultra brush to cover my face and neck, then go over my spots with the concealer brush. It’s perfect!! I couldn’t be happier with a foundation. Plus, it gives me a healthy dose of SPF, and does not contain bismuth oxychloride!

One last tip to loving your new mineral foundation is that they love hydration, so it’s important to moisturize before applying your makeup. Brush your teeth or dry your hair while the moisture sinks in. Then you are free to put on your minerals. Afterwards, you want to spritz it with hydration as well. Trust me, it makes a huge difference. Minerals are so natural that upon application, you may feel as though you look pale. It’s not that the color is wrong for you, it’s just that the minerals have not set into your skin. GloMinerals and Mineral Fusion make a wonderful hydration mist with hyaluronic acid in it to help moisturize and plump, but here’s my secret: I make my own with water, tea tree and lavender essential oils. It’s so good and keeps my skin clear!! 

Oh, ok, one more tip. Put on your creamy stuff, like concealer, blush, bronzer, and highlighter, AFTER the minerals. I know it sounds funny to do because we are so used to putting powders on last, but once the minerals hit anything sticky or wet, it can oxidize and darken on the skin. Then, you risk looking uneven and blotchy.

If, still, these mineral makeups are giving you problems, look into tinted moisturizers. I have a few I love. Just ask, and I’ll let you know!

And, in case you are an ingredient snob like me, here are the facts:

Mineral Fusion Pressed Powder
Mica, Lauroyl Lysine, Zinc Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Boron Nitride, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Hydrolyzed Mango Juice Extract, Hydrolyzed Garcinia Mangostana (Mangosteen) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Alaria Esculenta (Sea Kelp) Extract, Aspalathus Linearis (Rooibus Red Tea) Leaf Extract, Glycrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Extract, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Sambucus Nigra Fruit (Elderberry), Phenoxyethanol. MAY CONTAIN (+/-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).
BareEscentuals
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 12.6%, Zinc Oxide 21%. Inactive Ingredients: Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide

(p.s. I think the reason why the BOC in BareEscentuals is irritating is because there are so few “other” ingredients to offset it)

gloPressed base 
INGREDIENTS: Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Zinc Stearate, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Phytonadione, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Mica (CI77019). May Contain [+/-]: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Carmine (CI 75470).  
gloLoose base 
INGREDIENTS: Phytonadione, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Tocopherol Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Ethylparaben, Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163). May Contain [+/-]: Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).



Have a BEAUTIFUL day!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Dawn. I use the "bare minerals" but I feel like I have to out so much on, just to even my skin out. Jay always tells me you have make up caked on your face (jerk) I will have to try this. THANKS! Great blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I need to get some of this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies. I'm so glad you are following my blog and that it is helping you out. That makes me happy. You can find Mineral Fusion online or at Whole Foods or Earthfare. GloMinerals is sold at many spas, salons, and doctor's offices. Let me know how it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following from Bloggy Moms!
    http://madeofsnails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dawn for the info on Bare Minerals. I break out from makeup all the time to the point where I have to stop wearing it for a while. I was thinking of switching to Bare Minerals because I have heard so much hype about it, but now I know the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a bare minerals junkie for 7 years. I recently switched to the mineral fusion pressed powder and its like whooooa! Whooooooa whooooooa! It's so light and my skin feels amazing when I wear it. I love it! Thanks for the great info!!!

    ReplyDelete