Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ode to Bubblegum Lip Smackers


It was Christmas morning. I was in the sixth grade, and anxiously waiting to tear open my stocking. "Santa" always put wonderful goodies in there. That's the year it happened. I fell in love. Out of the stocking came a jumbo-sized Lip Smacker the color of a ballet slipper. It smelt like somebody had just blown too much air through a gum bubble. It was aptly named, "Pink Bubblegum." I carried that lip balm around with me everywhere. I think this is when my addiction started. The sweet smelling and colorless lip satin was my token. I felt like a grown up. Little did I know that grown ups rarely carried insanely over sized Lip Smackers in their pockets. (Tangent: However, the Dr. Pepper one is a different story for another blog. Perhaps product review?) And, I digress. Since that day when Santa brought me that tube, and every other Christmas when I would receive a candy cane filled with Lip Smackers (remember those?), my lips have been moist and plump ever since. It's a little bit of a problem-an addiction, really. I cannot tolerate having dry lips for a minute. I clam up, start fidgeting, and search my pockets for lip happiness. In fact, I could start my own addiction group. I would call it LG/BAA (Lip Gloss/Balm Addiction Anonymous). Thank you, Santa, for giving my lips the best gift they could ask for. And, for giving my parents a child who was happy with an $.89 tube of lip balm.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! :) Hooray! Congratulations and I can't wait to keep reading! And by the way, yes, Lip Smackers = Dawn in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I've never tried lip smackers??

    Frugally Green Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I read this like 6 times and giggled the entire way through all 6 times!! LOVE this post, and you captured my exact feeling every time as well...Santa used to bring us "Avon" lip balm peppermint was my absolute favorite made my lips tingle and feel "cool." Do you remember the teeny tiny nail polishes....hmmm maybe that's another post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little sister and I LOVED those as kids. We collected them and always asked for them as gifts and when we had enough money we would go buy some ourselves!

    ReplyDelete