Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Votes are In!

I am so surprised at how close it was! I can’t believe how many people don’t cleanse their skin at night. Come on. You know who you are. I am happy to say, though, that the majority of you do wash your face before calling it a night. Don’t get too excited. You didn’t win by a landslide, though. And, when I say “win,” that just means a little virtual pat on the back from me.

Seriously, though. Do you know how important it is to wash your face at night? Let’s see. How can I put this? Ok, think about it this way. Cars release pollutants, trash releases pollutants, bathrooms of all kinds release, well, you know what, and the pollen count is so high in some states right now that people’s noses and eyes are so red and itchy, they might scratch one off. My point is this. Think of all the pollutants in your own little world. Now, think of them smeared all over your pillow case (which I’m sure you don’t change every single day). Now think of sleeping on that same pillow case a few nights in a row. Gross, right? And, that’s not even the whole reason for cleansing your face at night.

Most of us wear makeup, which by the way acts as a tiny protection against those environmental hazards, but don’t  think that means you can get away without washing your face, because now you have a layer of day old makeup and pollutants on your skin.

We need to cleanse our skin at night, ladies, because all of the environmental hazards and pollutants on our skin actually release these little things called oxidants into our skin. Heard of them? We have ANTI-oxidants in our skincare and vitamins for a reason. Oxidants are terrible for our body’s cells. They eat away all the good things in our  organs (ahem…skin), and start the aging process more rapidly.  So, to keep it simple, that is the reason we should take one minute to wash our face at night.

Don’t forget to follow with an appropriate serum and moisturizer too, preferably one with retinol, hydroxyl acids, and/or hyaluronic acid to really treat the skin and prevent it from fine lines, wrinkles, and acne. Nighttime is the best time for this routine because your body is in a resting state, which means it is recuperating from the busyness of your day, thus rejuvenating itself for the next one.

I don’t want to hear you don’t have the time. Step away from The Biggest Loser, or 2-hour Survivor episode and do something good for yourself. It takes 5 minutes tops! Or, do what I do. Get yourself “ready” for bed once you put the kiddoes down, get home from the gym, or whatever it is you do before you veg out in front of the TV.

Trust me, you will feel so much better knowing your pillow case isn’t infested with gross stuff from the journey of your day. More importantly, your skin will start looking better. 

Now, don’t forget to vote in my new poll. I want to know what you can’t leave the house without?!

Have a BEAUTIFUL day!

4 comments:

  1. Very persuasive argument :) I always wash my face before bed but now I will hear your voice in my head if I ever get too lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are some recommended cleansers, serums & moisturizers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you via Mingle Monday. Hope you will follow me too @ http://masalabowl.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-290-blog-hops.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this poll, but I do indeed wash my face twice every day, in the morning and at night.

    I voted in the new poll! :) Looking forward to that post...

    ReplyDelete