Monday, April 4, 2011

Sunless Tanners

I had a reader question (thank you!) about sunless tanners for fair skin. She wants to know which ones I think are the best for a natural looking tan. Now, don't hate me. I am not one to use self tanners. I am part Italian and do a good job of tanning during the summer. Like I said, "Don't hate me...please!" However, with that said, I did my research, and here's what I've come up with:


Jergen's Natural Glow Moisturizer. This comes in a lotion or a body mousse. I have actually used this and loved it. It really works! I think the only reason why I stopped was because it has a distinct smell and I get bored of things easily. The color come on gradually and looks very natural. It now comes in two formulas: Firming and Revitalizing. 

Famous Dave's Fair Skin Body and Face Tanner. This tanning lotion was specifically designed for the fair skinned. The reviews are incredible. You can find it here

Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunless Tanning. This is a "natural" tanner. The only downside is that it takes a good 24 hours to develop. 

Clarins Glow Body Lotion. This is about 25% bronzer and 75% lotion. It gives an unbelievably even tone to the skin and feels great too! 

Here are some tips for making your tan even and long lasting:
EXFOLIATE, exfoliate, exfoliate!!!! Make sure to scrub every last inch of your body, especially your knees and elbows. 

DON'T apply tanner in the bathroom right after the shower. The steam will disrupt the tanning process. 

DRY, dry, dry your skin. Make sure your skin is very dry before applying the lotion. 

WAIT at least 3 hours before showering or exercising after sunless tanning. 

This is why I loved the Jergen's lotion so much. I could just put in on in place of my normal body lotion and be done with it. 

Those are my suggestions. Do you have any for my fair-skinned friend? Let me know! 

Oh! I almost forgot. Spray on tans, like Sun FX,  that are applied by hand by a trained technician come out awesome! They can be pricey, but really worth it for a special occasion. Stay away from Mystic Tan. That stuff reeks, and looks awful! Just sayin'...

Have a BEAUTIFUL day!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, you mentioned exfoliate for getting a good self tan... Can you do an article on good exfoliators? I can never find a good kind. Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also used the Jergens before my wedding but I'm not sure how much it worked. I did live in San Diego, so why did I feel the need for self-tanner? Regardless, I was happy with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you mentioned not to Mystic Tan. I am porcelain, and the person at Mystic Tan assured me I would not be orange, nobody had ever turned out orange. (HA!) I was an oompa loompa for two weeks, even after exfoliating daily. That stuff really does have staying power. My best friend got one at the same time as me, and his was perfect for weeks. I was insanely jealous.

    Oddly, I use Mary Kay's Satin Hands Scrub to exfoliate my whole body. I didn't use it enough for just my hands, so I use it all over and it gives great results.

    ReplyDelete