Friday, June 17, 2011

Happiness in 2011

It's that time of the week again. "Happiness Is..." Blog hop from Rub Some Dirt on It! This is a post from another (non-beauty) online diary I have. I know. I 'm talking this blog hop quite literally right now, but, I have been going through some stuff lately, and I needed to reread this. It makes me happy and reminds me that there really is no sense worrying about what will be. Because, well, what will be will be, I guess, right? 


To live in the present and not worry about the future, nor dwell on the past.

That is my new year's resolution. It's what I say when people ask what I resolve to do in 2011, and then look at me, like, "ok...you're cool," when I respond. But, I don't care, because it's the truth. I have a tendency to worry and dwell, and I'm finally admitting it. As a matter of fact, I feel happier in 2011 already because I am working so hard on my resolution. There is no need to worry about that which I cannot change, nor dwell on what has already happened.

As a mother, a wife, and a fairly new resident to Charlotte, it is very easy to put everybody else's needs before my own. As Dante, in his Divine Comedy, writes, " Take henceforth your pleasure as your guide." I plan to do just that.

Real Simple magazine wrote several articles in their 2011 issue on exactly this. In her article, The History of Happiness, Marcia Menter writes, " ...even a short life is a very long journey, and we all need provisions for the trip. We need good food, good stories, and people to share them with. We need a sense of proportion and a sense of the absurd. We need to have as good a time as we can, because, otherwise, what's the point?"

Taken from that Real Simple article, here are my 9 mantras for 2011:

1.) "Chill out": colder temperatures boost your mood. I resolve to breathe it in...
2.)"Remember whence you came": I resolve to surround myself with nostalgic momentos and pictures so that I can always remember my history.
3.) "Don't dwell": it's just negative energy that soaks up my mental clarity. I resolve to move on.
4.)"Spread the wealth": I resolve to "treat" others more often
5.) "Eat a snack around 2pm": More afternoon energy? Yes, please!
6.) "Get a move on": I resolve to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week.
7.)"Limit your options": I resolve to be less indecisive.
8.) "Start baking" (i.e. learn something new): I resolve to expand my horizons. I'm took a class on Modern dance!
9.) "Make your bed": Author Gretchen Rubin says, "People are happier when everyday tasks in their lives are complete." I resolve to make my bed, clean out my closet, and organize our house.

The happiness I have in life comes from the people I love, and who love me. I am so lucky to have my parents nearby, a loving, patient, and proactive husband, friends who I am finally feeling comfortable with, and the most adorable, loving, attentive, and patient-for-a-two-year-old son. Happiness comes from all of these things, but it's when they are taken for granted that you try to find something else. I know how fortunate I am. That is why I am not worrying or dwelling. I am staying in the present and taking each day as it comes...And, I am happy.


3 comments:

  1. I thought of this post when I talked to you the other night. It's a great way to think and be. Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those could be my own goals too! It's so hard not to worry, but it sounds like you have a good handle on it. How's it been going since the new year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently reading the "Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin...and I. Love. It! I really liked your "Mantras"

    ReplyDelete