Friday, July 1, 2011

Oxybenzone-Why to avoid it

No, I'm not talking about OXY pads, or even OXI laundry or rug cleaner. I'm talking about a popular sunscreen ingredient. Believe me, I am as sad as you may be to learn of this harmful ingredient that we are soaking our skin in. It's in my favorite tinted moisturizer!! Ahhh!! Well, I'll have to find another one (and then blog about it). The benefits do not outweigh the risks in this case.

So, why shouldn't we be using sunscreen with this ingredient in it? And, what sunscreen should we use? I'll tell you!

Oxybenzone (aka. benzophenone-3) "has been linked to allergies, hormone disruption and cell damage, according to the Environmental Working Group (EWG). It’s linked to low birth weight in baby girls whose mothers have been exposed during pregnancy. And it’s a “penetration enhancer.” It helps other chemicals penetrate the skin. "

I also learned that it ruins the sealife. The contamination has actually changed the sex of certain fish!

EWG is a fantastic website for research on cosmetics, skincare, etc. The health concerns of this ingredient are so high, that I am feeling disgusting having this tinted moisturizer on my face right now. If you remember in one of my previous posts, our skin is the largest organ in our body. It absorbs everything we put in it. Remember that the next time you hear how an ingredient can affect our bodies, and think twice about how you treat your skin.

Now, with that out of the way, what sunscreens should we use? Look for ones with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide only. Yes, they are out there. Then, peek at "other ingredients" and watch out for parabens and such. Here are some to get you started:

* Blue Lizard (anything without oxybenzone)
* California Baby
* Lavera
*Lavanilla
*Badger

Quick tip: I know  A LOT of you use Aveeno products because they are "natural." You may want to to check them out on EWG. They are pretty toxic, according to this website!!

Stay sun safe AND skin safe this summer! Have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, we use Aveeno Baby wash! Now I have to go over there :( And I should probably check our sunblock, too!

    ReplyDelete