Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What do Mascara and Biology Class have in Common?

There is a reason I never signed up for Biology class in high school. That reason stayed the same when, in college, I decided becoming a teacher wasn't the right thing for me after learning I would have to take Science classes:
Dissecting dead things. Pigs, frogs, beetles...no thank you. I vividly remember the smell of the hallway while a dissection was being performed. Yuck. I remember the sound of the lunch bell and sitting next to my friends while they talked about what they just did the class before.  Every conversation ended with, " I feel like I still smell like formaldehyde." My stomach turns at the thought of it. In fact, I'm probably not going to eat dinner tonight.

Anyhoo, Bloggies. I swear this story has a purpose. Mascara, my friends, is one of my favorite cosmetics. However, I have come to learn that MANY mascaras contain that fore mentioned chemical from Biology class. Yup! We are putting that right near our eyeballs. Many of you are also smushing formaldehyde in and smearing it around while in dreamland. Not me, of course, because I wash my face EVERY night!

It can be listed as any of these ingredients, so check before you buy: 

DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea and Imidazolidinyl Urea
DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea and imidazolidinyl urea are commonly used preservatives that can release formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a sensitizer and a proven carcinogen. Exposure to formaldehyde may cause joint pain, depression, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness and loss of sleep. It is estimated that 20 per cent of people exposed to DMDM hydantoin will experience an allergic reaction. Imidazolidinyl urea may cause contact dermatitis in some individuals.

Formaldehyde
Formaldehyde is a known sensitizer and a known carcinogen. Exposure to formaldehyde may cause joint pain, depression, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness, and loss of sleep. Formaldehyde may be used in personal care products as a disinfectant, germicide, fungicide and preservative. It can be found in soaps, shampoos, hair preparations, deodorants, lotions, shaving cream and mouthwash. it is also used in nail products, specifically as a nail hardening agent, and is one of the "toxic trio" targetted for elimination from nail polish and removers by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics. It has also been found in high concentrations in certain hair straightening products. Formaldehyde may also be released when the preservatives, DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea and imidiazolidinyl urea are present in products, as discussed above.
Bronopol
can break down into formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, and into nitrosamines, which are suspected carcinogens. 

Here is a list of "good" mascaras from www.lesstoxicguide.ca
Afterglow Cosmetics Pure Soul Mascara
Coastal Classic Creations Mascara
Cleure Mineral Mascara
Earth Lab Mascara
Lavera Volume Mascara
Maia's Mineral Galaxy Mascara
Miessence Mascara
Nvey Eco Organic Mascara (Australian co.)
Rejuva Minerals Mascara
Suncoat Products Natural Mascara (Can. co.)
Zuzu Luxe Mascara

 I realize after my post about oxybenzone that I may seem like a tree hugging, dread rocking hippie (not that there's anything wrong with that). But, I'm not at all. It just seems like the older I get, the more concerned I am not only for my future and health, but for that of my son and future children we will have. I feel as though we need to all work together to live a cleaner lifestyle. Why not start here and now? Let's educate ourselves and put our money where it's useful. One day, these natural products will be everywhere, and it won't take the internet or walking into an unfamiliar health food store to stay natural and beautiful. 

Here's to batty lashes, Bloggies. Have a BEAUTIFUL day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am a new follower via the blog hop! I would love for you to follow
    me back and become bloggy friends! Have a lovely day,

    ~meg~

    A Meg Moment
    http://agemmoment.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete